Sunday, December 02, 2007

Yaaaay Kindermusik!!


Yesterday I had one of those "this is worth it just for this!!" moments during my Kindermusik teacher training. I was just sitting in observing one of the 3-5 yr classes and one of the little ones really seemed to take a liking to me. Which was surprising because I really didn't say or do much. This little boy doesn't speak English very well as he's new to Canada so I helped to re-direct him a few times, and helped him do a few of the activities, but that was it. At the end of the class when the parents came in, he kept talking to his mother in Spanish saying something about "casa" which I know means home, so I said to him "Are you ready to go home?" his mother looked at me and told me that he is saying,"Can we take her (meaning me) home with us?" I smiled and told him that I have to stay and teach the other children, but on his way out he grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the classroom. I took him to the waiting room, told him I'd see him next week and waved bye bye. He resisted, but his Mom took over so I went back to the classroom. A few minutes later he came running back into the room and grabbed my hand again asking me to come home with him. His Mom was so embarrassed and took him out kicking and screaming. How could one not feel special after something like that? I know that he was upset, but it really melted my heart.
There's just something about young children that makes them so special. They are on the most part non judgemental and really willing to try anything. And their reaction to new experiences is just so refreshing!! I have a feeling that I'm going to have many Kindermusik stories to share as I teach, and that all of those little ones will leave strong impressions on my heart, just like that little boy did yesterday.

No comments: