Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Recording Session #1

Last night was so exciting! I finally headed over to Jack's studio to do some recording. I was a little nervous about the process as I've never actually done any studio recording before. All recordings up till now have been done in a live acoustic with a live accompanist. I think I could really get used to this whole studio business though. There are so many perks to recording in a studio, it's like my eyes have been opened to a whole new art form. First there's the ability to completely be comfortable, no gowns or crowns required. (as much as I love the diva accessories it was nice to replace the gown with comfy clothes and the crown with the studio headphones. (I think I've already established that it never hurts to wear a tiara, but I really didn't want to overwhem Jack with too many of my diva quirks last night :) Not having to put on a show, yet still being able to create a performance with excellence can really be a great thing. With recording it's really all about the singing. I had the luxury of being able to pull out all of my technical tricks to enhance the sound and not have to worry about looking like a nutbar, cause there was no one watching. Well except Jack, and I'm sure he's seen it all. He did comment on the way in which I looked when attempting the high F in Der Holle Rache, it was something like "it looked as though I was attempting to "give birth" to my high F " :) Poor Jack having to witness that!!

There’s real beauty in being able to digitally manipulate the balance, acoustic and a few vocal issues in a piece. I am just so amazed at how much can be done in the studio. I'm even more amazed at how much Jack can do. I've always been wowed by what a super talented musician Jack is, but really it's insane how at home he is with all those buttons, cables and computers. You've got to know so much about music in order to edit like that. It really requires such attention to detail. It can be a lot of fun too. I'm really excited about the final product. I was concerned about doing any editing because I didn't want to lose the integrity or natural sound of my voice. The edit decisions that we made really just enhanced what was there, (or not there in a few cases :) Now I know why it's so hard to live up to the standards of some of the recordings that are out there, in the studio perfection can be attained, on stage it's impossible to attain perfection, even for a diva :) That's why I've concluded that they are two very different art forms -same talent- completely different executions.

Jack successfully gives birth to a super F:)

The best part of last night was just being able to spend time with Jack. Jack has always been such a blessing to me. He's always encouraging, last night being no exception. And even though he's never studied opera, he gets the struggles of being a musician which is really special just knowing that someone else gets it, especially another Christian. Jack has some great advice to give and I so value his experience and his complete willingness to help in whatever way he can. Jack is a man who truly models humility. With all his talent and musical knowledge he could just turn around and laugh in my face, but he has never made me feel inferior. He's a man who strives for excellence in all that He does and inspires the rest of us to do the same. Jack is such a blessing to me and to so many others. This week in particular as we've planned the recording session, God has used Jack to remind me of Christ's love. Jack's willingness to help me,to serve me and to encourage me with a joyful heart (even with my diva communication issues:) is just so incredible to me. I've been a little down lately, discouraged and just feeling really spiritually worn out. I praise God for the way in which He has revealed His love to me through Jack. This is why we need our brothers and sisters. God used Jack to make it so clear. I am overwhelmed with thanksgiving and praise, for how my Lord uses others to reveal Christ's unending Love for me. I can truly do nothing but praise God for Jack !

What an uplifting recording session. Soli Deo Gloria!

1 comment:

Andre Favron said...

Wow Andrea. I wish you could have heard all the amazing things that Jack said about you when I was at his studio the other day; (and by the way, I could not agree with you more about Jack. There are only a few who have done for my son what he Jack has done and, though the awards and accolades that have been bestown on him, including his Gemini for Best Original Music Score - Dramatic Series 2001-2002, serve to confirm and affirm his skill, it his how he treats people that places him at the highest end of my personal ladder of esteem on which I place people in my life, he truly is a giant among mortals to those of us who know him personally), but having heard you myself in the headphones, though never forte and free, I could only envy him for getting a foretaste of what heavenly music must sound like before me. I too have had the pleasure of hearing you rehearse and perform, (from the advantage of PFL on high end headphones) while I was serving you, both as a soloist and on Alan's team at church. I remember passing the headphones to some people in the sound room and commenting about becoming redundant as sound people if everyone sounded that awesome. You really do sound that great. I pray that everytime you have the privilege of singing out, that you would offer it back to God as a gift of worship. That is the only way we can pay him back for the gift of allowing us to hear you sing. Maybe someday we'll be fortunate enough to actually have you sign at Upper Room Community Church. Thanks for your blog. I will be following your life and praying accordingly.