Friday, March 17, 2006

Green for Tutty

I always wear green on Mar 17. For the longest time I didn't realize that people wore green because it was St.Patrick's day. March 17 was Tutty's birthday, and his favorite colour was green. He was actually pretty crazy about green. He painted the boathouse, the shack, and the little house at the cottage an embarrassing bright green, he drove a green car, the carpet in his old house was green. Green seemed to be everywhere with him. For the longest time I thought that everyone wore green on March 17 because it was Tutty's birthday. It's funny how naive I was as a kid. I guess I just assumed that the world loved Tutty as much as I did cause it also took me a while to figure out that Lake Joseph, where our cottage was, wasn't really named after him (his real name was Joseph).
I still wear green on Mar 17. Yea I've got some Irish blood in me, but the real reason I'll always wear green is because it was Tutty's favorite colour. Tutty used to always smile when I told him that I was wearing green for his birthday. I miss that smile, especially today.

No comments: