Sunday, February 26, 2006

Conversations


Conversations are funny. There are some people with whom I have no problem interacting with even if I don't know them all that well. The conversation can be smooth, no awkwardness whatsoever. I feel comfortable, they feel comfortable it's all cool - even if we don't have much in common. Then there are a handful of people with whom I interact and I don't know what it is, whether it's me or the other person, but the conversation always seems almost torturous. No matter how many times we interact or how many experiences we have shared together, there's complete awkwardness. Neither person knows what to say . . . we find ourselves stumbling for words or questions. . . . . responses are vague one word answers . . . the interaction is full of cliche phrases. . . . It's like there's an unwillingness to share who we really are or something. These conversations drive me crazy because I just don't get why we can't get below the surface and beyond the superficiality of initial interaction. I wonder if when the "awkward conversation people" in my life see me coming they want to avoid me like I want to avoid them. How does one break a conversation barrier that has become a habit? Maybe I'm just weird. Maybe I need to try harder. Maybe I need to flat out ask these people if they sense the awkwardness too. Maybe we need to get over ourselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awkwardness, oh, awkwardness,
What ghastly face you show,
Why, kingdoms rise,
And kingdoms fall,
Because of you, you know!

Oh, how to overcome you,
Oh, Grace, what weapons bear,
To fight you back,
To bitter end,
And finally beat you there!

But up rise you, at moments odd,
Just when I think I've won,
And laugh aloud,
A cold, chill sound,
And all my work's undone.

But Love CAN overcome you,
Yes! Love has won the wars!
So, try you might,
To win the fight,
But Love, like eagles, soars!