Thursday, December 22, 2005

He shall speak peace

"He is the righteous Saviour and He shall speak peace unto the heathen." - from 'Rejoice Greatly'- Handel's Messiah.

He has spoken peace into my life but How do I express the kind of peace that comes from knowing the Righteous Saviour, Jesus Christ?
My artistic mission for this week - to communicate the assurance and salvation that Jesus Christ provides using only the word 'peace'. How do I give my testimony in such few words? How do I express what knowing Jesus Christ means in my eyes, in my face, in my posture, in my voice.

What is peace?

stillness, tranquility, assurance, inner silence, lifted burdens, calmness, knowledge of the truth, heaven, freedom, Father, Son, Holy Spirit, mystery, tranquility

Times that affirmed the peace of Christ in my life:

1. When I first became a born again Christian. I remember sitting in the kitchen the next morning, eating my breakfast and being so overcome by an incredible sense of peace. Like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I remember the tears just pouring - tears of relief, of thanksgiving of awe and wonder. The only word I could use to describe what I was feeling was peace.

2. The morning of Tutty's funeral when Jen, Achilles and I were walking up to the church ready to face the extreme difficulty of the day. I envisioned myself grasping tightly to the robe of Jesus and when I did He picked me up and carried me in His arms allowing me to do nothing but grieve. Knowing that I was in His arms brought an enourmous peace.

3. While at Masterworks 2004, the night I spent on my knees in my room praying, calling out to Him and soaking up His word - a sudden stillness overwhelmed me. I remember it lasting for a very long time. I could do nothing but dwell completely in His presence. The silence was beautiful, it was a warm silence. An assuring silence. His presence was so apparent. As though His hands were on my shoulders. He affirmed His unending faithfulness in my life that night. And the worship song "Faithful one" gained new meaning for me.



"you're my rock of peace." That's what Christ is, a rock of peace. A hard, solid rock of tranquility. One that can't be destroyed. The assurance of salvation that Christ provides is the only kind of peace that will never go away. Other kinds of peace are temporary. The peace He offers is unending, an eternal peace. Even when my life seems like it's falling apart there is always that rock of peace to cling to.

How beautiful is the peace that Jesus Christ has spoken and will continue speak unto the heathen.

No comments: