Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Simple Piece of Paper

It's amazing to me how much a simple piece of paper can come to represent. Today I had to surrender my work visa to the border guard as I crossed the border to come home. I actually got all choked up and started crying when I handed the visa to the guard today. (She probably thought I was nuts.) Of course part of the difficulty in letting it go came from the mere obstacle that it took to get the thing in the first place. Waiting an extra 2 months, it getting lost in the mail and all that drama. My tears weren't really about having to let go of something that was so difficult to obtain. That visa represented for me a journey. A year long journey that God used to change me forever. Represented in that piece of paper is: growth, learning, waiting, faith, faithfulness, courage, disappointment, endurance, perseverance, truth, revelation, cleansing, pruning, pain, trust, discovery, loss, grief, loneliness, sacrifice, love, direction, fear, encouragement, uncertainty, praise and healing. I felt as though I was leaving all of that behind in such a concrete way today, but as I thought about it I realized that really I was leaving nothing behind at all I was really taking so much of an abundance in blessings home with me.

No comments: