Sunday, January 22, 2006

Overwhelming Worship


Can tears be worship?

Almost 6 years ago I sat at a church service listening to a man speak, an ordinary man whose extraordinary testimony of faith changed how I saw God. He was also the one who dared to ask the biggest and most important question of my life, "If you were to die today would you go to heaven or hell?" God used my response to that question to ultimately bring me to my knees and acknowledge that I needed Christ as my Lord and Saviour.
Last night, as that same man stood before the congregation and spoke, I found myself overcome with emotion. This was the first time I had seen that man since coming to Christ. And as I sat there and listened to Him speak with the same passion he had 6 years ago, I found myself reflecting on all that God is for me now. I am so grateful for the way in which He used the boldness and passion of that ordinary man to change my life. Back in 2000 never did I imagine that I would be sitting in the same place almost 6 years later so overcome with gratitude that I'd be fighting back tears.
As we stood to sing at the end of the service. I couldn't even get the words of the song out because by that time the tears were just pouring down and I was unbelievably choked up. The more I reflected on the words of the song the more emotional I became. "Better is One day in your house, better is one day in your courts, better is one day in your house than thousands elsewhere" Only 6 years ago I was elsewhere and now I'm in His house and dwelling in His courts and I can declare those words knowing that they are true - Better is one day in His House indeed!!!
Being a passionate person, I tend to cry quite a bit but never have I analyzed what those tears really represent. How is it that tears which usually represent sadness and despair can also represent joy, adoration, praise and gratitude and ultimately be an act of worship? It's strange.

No comments: