Sunday, September 17, 2006

Intimacy & Articulation

Last night was hard for me. Sometimes I just wish that I could be more articulate. So often I find myself struggling for the words to describe exactly how I feel or what I've experienced. When I can't articulate something to another person I feel so inadequate. How is it that I can't express in words something that defines who I am? How is it that there is so much inside of me that no one will ever know because I can't articulate it in words, facial expressions, actions, or even songs?

I was thinking the other day about intimacy with God and what makes my relationship with Him so amazing. And I have to say that I really love that He knows everything about me. I don't even have to try to articulate things to Him because He knows it all, even the things that I don't know about myself. He knows me intimately and to the core. God knows all that is in my heart and I truly cherish that intimacy. What is even more incredible is that He is the only One who will ever know all of me. There will never be another who knows me like He does.

I suppose that when it comes to articulating necessary things to others, I should just rely on Him to provide the words, since He knows us all intimately and knows exactly what we each need to hear through others. Last night I think that I failed to trust that intimacy.

1 comment:

Joy Freschly said...

Hey, I know exactly what you mean. I think we really do have to trust the Holy Spirit to help us communicate what we want/need to communicate. I often feel insufficient in my relational abilities, but I think I need to cut myself some slack. If I screw up saying something insignificant, well, big deal, it was unimportant. But for anything important, like communicating the Gospel to someone or sharing what Jesus has done for me, or even in trying to explain who I am to another person, I have to trust that the Spirit will help me say what needs to be said and help the receiver receive that they are supposed to hear.